Sunday, January 23, 2011

Food in the Islands



Every time I am home my family and I go out to eat- a lot. In fact a couple of months before my brother and I fly back, my parents are usually going out to dinner, testing out places for us to go to together. This year was no different, except that my brother wasn't there to join us.

We had wonderful pizza and calzones at Bianelli's, an amazing Indian Dinner at Shivalek and more Thai (Krua, Bangkok House) than in years past. It's a good thing we love Thai food so much. There were of course opportunities for home made cooking too. I look forward to coming home and testing out some recipes and experimenting with my mom who is also getting into the endless wonders and tastes of vegan cooking. My dad gets excited for me to come home and make things for him to eat as well.

Some of the highlights this year were cream cheese soyrizo wontons, spanakopita, a lasagna made with leftovers including sweet potato biscuits (weird, yes, but they worked in it) and a strawberry chocolate cupcake recipe that didn't quite rise to the occasion but when reincarnated as brownies became a delicious hit. Our Christmas dinner was original too- marinated seitan kebobs, purple and white potato mac salad and asparagus. MMMM...



Another thing I look forward to when I am home besides going to the beach and seeing friends, is my friend Kaia's annual Cookie Decorating Party. This year there were lots of adults, children, cookies and decorations. I brought stuffed mushrooms to munch on and lemon sugar cookies to decorate. The cookie party was a stimulation for the eyes, a vessel for creative creations and a time of celebration and community. It was exactly what it has been the last few years and why it is on my list of things to do when I'm home.

So here's to family, friends, eating out and experimenting with food in new and interesting ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment