Monday, January 17, 2011

The Ocean is my Playground...



"The Ocean Is My Playground" is the text of a bumper sticker I have had for years. Unfortunately, now, more of the sticker has peeled off my car compared to what is still intact. Still, what it said holds true. I love the ocean and bodies of water in general. Here in Oregon I have never had an interest in swimming in the ocean, although I love to go to the coast to visit and reflect, but I still love to go in our many lakes and rivers. When I am back home in Hawaii going to the beach or getting in the water, in some capacity, is always a priority. Being around a body of water is therapeutic for me and always has been.



This year, as has happened the past two years, my parents surprised me with the possibility of experiencing a new activity. Two years ago my younger brother, myself, mom and dad rode ATV's through the old sugar cane plantations of the southern part of the island; a year ago we went zip lining through Kohala Valley and my dad treated my brother and I and one of our closest friends each to a trip on a snorkeling rafting tour. This year, my dad was able to get two comped tickets for a para sailing adventure. My mom and I experienced this activity that has been on my "to do" list since 2000, together. I could have fallen asleep floating 600 ft above the water. It was so peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment